Heartland Academy school activities include:
- Life skills opportunities: Cooking, cleaning, social immersion in the community, consumer awareness, vocational exploration
- Therapeutic riding of horses and their care
- Field trips and special outings
- Peer mentoring with partner schools for socialization opportunities
- Activities for family support
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Sensory integration therapy
Heartland Academy’s approach to recreational activities is unique in that the activities are designed for experiential learning. The aim of the activities is to allow an individual to view himself as increasingly capable and competent.
Besides recreation we also have extra-curricular activities and a curriculum that supports the Heartland Academy mission and philosophy.